Sunday, April 13, 2014

Geo 730: April 13, Day 469: Depoe Bay

Depoe Bay lays claim to the title of "the world's smallest navigable harbor," though as always, I'm skeptical of any claim to the world's most extreme anything. Not sayin' it ain't so, just sayin' I want evidence and definitions of terms. It was also one of the Oregon harbors (along with Brookings) that suffered substantial damage from the 2011 Tohoku tsunami. A dramatic short video clip (several others are linked on this page) of the torrent into the bay can be seen at YouTube. I'd guess it's biggest claim to wide-spread fame is that it was the setting for the fishing scene in the film version of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." There's some great geology to be seen around town, and tomorrow, I'll engage in some shameless arm-waving (though, I think, pretty well constrained to reality) as to the nature of the harbor itself.

Photo unmodified. July 10, 2012. FlashEarth location.

No comments: