Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Geo 730: Feb. 26, Day 422: Guano Valley and Doherty Grade

I mentioned this area before in the Geo 365 series, here and here, but here's a different view, to the south, showing Guano Valley and the scarp to its east. I've only come down this way a couple times- normally, I've continued east to Denio Junction, then up north through the Alvord Desert, heading over to the west side of the Steens near Fields, OR, or continuing up the east side (which is a spectacular drive) to Route 78. On this trip, we had already booked rooms in Lakeview, so we came back this same way. The views are better going uphill, though.

Photo unmodified. August 19, 2011. FlashEarth Location (approximate).

3 comments:

Lyle said...

Many web sites say the east side scenic byway is suitable for regular autos. (65 miles of gravel they say) did you find it so?

Lockwood said...

Yes. They maintain that particular section pretty well. I've mostly been on it in OSU vans, which are pretty rugged, but I have been on it in mid-sized sedans. You might need to take it a bit slow in places, but generally speaking, it's well-graded, and can easily be taken at 40-45 mph. (In my experience- I haven't been out there in maybe 15 years, and I don't know if budget cuts have hit maintenance. Hope not!)

lyle said...

Thanks for the information. I am thinking of visiting that area this summer. But your views of Highway 140 caused me to think of a different route.