Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Geo 365: Dec. 18, Day 352: Arch Rock Stacks

"Since recrystallization hardens rocks, and shearing and fracturing weaken them, the combined effects produce extremes in rock durability. This largely accounts for the differential erosion of bedrock along the coast of Curry County and the resulting ruggedly beautiful scenery." (Paragraph 2, under "Geologic Setting," Landforms along the coast of Curry County Oregon, by Ernest H. Lund in The Ore Bin, Volume 37,No. 4, April 1975- PDF)

I was scanning over this document yesterday, and that line popped out at me. I have decided, over the 30-plus years I've spent exploring Oregon, that the three parks near Charleston (Sunset Bay, 2/11-2/17, Shore Acres, 7/22-8/11, and Cape Arago, 2/11 & 8/8, but not really covered) comprise my favorite coastal location, but generally speaking, this section from Bandon south to the California border is the most spectacular visually. The geology is spectacular, too, just so spectacularly complex that it makes me uncomfortable to try to say anything about it.

Photo unmodified. May 8, 2013. FlashEarth location.

No comments: