Friday, January 7, 2011

Can A 'Possum Be Cute and Charming?

Before seeing this one, I almost certainly would have said "no." I have dealt with the critters up close and personal several times. Fascinating, yes. Worthy of respect, absolutely. Even scary in close quarters. Perhaps the issue here is that none of the pictures show Heidi baring her teeth: the armaments found in possums' mouths are fearsome. But I have to say, this one just makes me want to cuddle her. The Germans agree, and the article in Der Spiegel says,
A new addition to the Leipzig Zoo has yet to be seen by the public, but that hasn't stopped her from becoming a star. Heidi, a young cross-eyed opossum, is shaping up to be the most popular furry critter in Germany since Knut the celebrity polar bear.
Awww, what a sweetheart.

1 comment:

Phil said...

I have a couple of stories about those things, one that involved my winding up at the emergency room with bullet fragments in my thigh.

Little bastard kept showing up and eating my cat food, my cat was too stupid to go hunting and was starving.
Another one was when I unwrapped a pallet full of my old car parts and wound up face to face, literally, with a momma and six of her kits. After half an hour stand off, I had my buddy get the fork lift and pick it up and take it across the parking lot and set it down. They were gone the next day.