Wednesday, December 8, 2010

30 Years Ago

To be honest, I have never been all that big a fan of John Lennon's solo work. Like a great deal of other music, I just don't react strongly to most of it; it doesn't move me. But as with another example that comes to mind, Michael Jackson, I respect that many others are deeply moved by his music. And I do remember being shocked by the senselessness of his murder 30 years ago today. It was not a shock of personal loss, as it was to so many of my friends, but rather a feeling that has come to be a continuing note in my day-to-day existence: sorrow at the loss for those to whom it truly mattered, and grief at human beings' persistent cruelty and indifference to the suffering of other human beings. And while Lennon's music and lyrics may not move me as deeply as they do others, I think the feelings he was trying to communicate are the same as those I feel all too often.

With that in mind, here are a couple of his songs that I really do like. Bring on the Lucie (Freeda People):

Steel and Glass:

No comments: