Thursday, November 11, 2010

Stalking Wild Jade

The story is at The NYT, at least the first of two parts is. I'll watch for and try to remember to post tomorrow's segment as a followup link here. Today's portion seems mostly about getting to the general neighborhood, though there's plenty of background information on the rock/mineral associations and tectonic setting.

Followup, Nov. 12: And here's part II. Not a bad piece, overall, but it feels kind of empty and lacking in detail. It's not clear to me why they're collecting. The pictures are small and not very interesting. I can think of dozens of geobloggers who would have done a better job with this. But credit to The Times for even making it available. As I said, despite my criticism, it's not bad, I just think it could have been better.

Hmm... looking at the sidebar stuff, I found this:
Are there scientists you would like to see write about their field work? Are you a researcher interested in writing about your own field work? Send an e-mail to scientistatwork@nytimes.com. If you are nominating yourself, please include a description of your field work and samples of your writing and photographs.
Might be a chance for someone to get a little publicity, perhaps even paid, in freelance journalism.

No comments: