Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Chicks of Rock

I don't recall whether I got around to posting this video when I first saw it. I meant to, but there are far more blog-worthy things I come across than I actually get to. At any rate, if this is a repeat, apologies; if not, it's a fun clip of zebra finches playing guitars.

I'm curious if the birds learn to make an association between the instruments and the noise that's produced, but the reason I bring this up is that there was a fun story at The Guardian yesterday on the unfolding events at this exhibit: one of the finches laid an egg on a guitar. "The day an egg stopped the rock-chick show. The Barbican's new exhibition features birds playing musical instruments – which leads to the occasional unexpected drama." I read it, then marked it as unread, half thinking I might write a bit about it, but not really wanting to bother seeing if I'd posted the clip before. Then this morning one of the bloggers I follow, Bing McGhandi at Happy Jihad's House of Pancakes, stuck it up, making it easy, and really, unavoidable.

And you thought this post was going to be about the upcoming film, "The Runaways," didn't you? No. I would never refer to Joan Jett as a "chick."

No comments: