Friday, November 6, 2009

I Love Alice in Wonderland

But I never expected to find myself living it. (OregonLive.) There's been a torrent of news this week, some of it tedious, some of it overplayed. For example, the Fort Hood shootings are important, but it amazes me how eagerly journalists rush to report "No one knows anything yet." Yeah? And that's news? On the other hand, there's also been a lot of important and interesting news... I just haven't taken much time to discuss it and pass it along.

I have a backlog of posts that I want to get up; hopefully it'll slow down over the weekend enough to recover lost ground. But if you've been wondering why I haven't been saying much (as opposed to lazily passing along stuff that's amusing or interesting without much comment), it's because I've been spending 10-12 hours a day reading.

I'm a heavy believer in pointing out flaws in reasoning; and while I expect to be on the receiving end of that practice from time to time, I do not expect to like it. I'm also a firm believer in the idea that I learn more when my mouth is (or in this case, fingertips are) inactive than when it isn't. I've just been using my fingertips for scrolling, it seems.I may have not spent much time writing this week, but you can rest assured I'm not going to waste your time with long columns expressing how important it is to express that no one knows or understands what happened. Unless it is.

No comments: