Monday, October 12, 2009

Ground

I had a laugh at this a couple of days ago, but didn't think to pass it on. Now The Guardian has reminded me, in conjunction with the announcement that the new Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy sequel is getting positive reviews. The link in the excerpt will take you to the LCROSS twitter site.
As Nasa's LCROSS spacecraft travelled towards the moon at more than 9,000 kilometres per hour on Friday afternoon, it tweeted in the whale's words: "And what's this thing coming toward me very fast? So big and flat and round ... it needs a big wide sounding name like 'Ow', 'Ownge', 'Round', 'Ground'! ... That's it! Ground! Ha! I wonder if it'll be friends with me?"
I felt that Adams' later books in the series were too grim and dark to really be funny, so I'm hoping that "And Another Thing ..." puts a funny (yet thought provoking) period on the series.

No comments: