Saturday, July 18, 2009

Saturd80's

This seems a little slower and less rambunctious than the original recording, but I do like the way it sounds...

Off the album "Nothing to Fear" (1982), this song got a lot of play on our college station, and I think it's probably my favorite from this group. For those who don't know, Danny Elfman, the singer and writer of most of their work, has gone on to a stellar career doing movie scores.

I always considered Gary Numan a guilty pleasure: most of my friends really didn't like this kind of synth-pop-rock. The following may not be the best video version of this song, but it's a nostalgia trip for me. My first exposure to Numan was in "Urgh! A Music War," (1981), from whence this clip is taken. While I've had a number of his LP's and CD's, it wasn't until a few years ago that I realized how popular and influential he'd been- for example, Trent Reznor credits Numan as a major influence. I also found recently that he's still making music; "Replicas" is mind-blowing.
I noticed that the lyrics are not very intelligable... and the true flesh-crawling horror of this song can't be grasped without them.

Down in the park
Where the machmen meet
The machines are playing kill-by-numbers
Down in the park with a friend called five

I was in a car crash
Or was it the war?
Well, I've never been quite the same
Little white lies like I was there

Come to zom-zoms, a place to eat
Like it was built in one day
You can watch the humans
Try to run

Oh, look, theres a rape machine
I'd go outside if it looks the other way
You wouldn't believe
The things they do

Down in the park
Where the chant is death, death, death
Until the sun cries morning
Down in the park with friends of mine

We are not lovers
We are not romantics
We are here to serve you
A different face but the words never change

And I'll wrap it up with a clip I had never seen before- though I've loved the song for 25 years- that E.B. Misfit posted earlier in the week. From "Stealing Fire," 1984.

No comments: