Friday, July 3, 2009

Palinocide

Palin is resigning from the position of Governor of Alaska, effective July 26. Huh. Weird. In a couple of clips from WaPo,
Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) announced this afternoon she will resign from office on July 26 and return to private life, a stunning decision by last year's Republican vice presidential candidate to leave office before the end of her first term.
(...)
"We've seen a lot of nutty behavior from governors and Republican leaders in the last three months, but this one is at the top of that," said John Weaver, a longtime friend and confidant of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.)...
Way to establish those poli-creds, Sarah. Or maybe your widdle feewings wuz hurt by Jonah suggesting that you were morally capable of doing anything wrong? Yah, youbetcha! I bet that was it!

Followup: From The Guardian,
Palin hastily called a news conference this morning at her home in suburban Wasilla, giving such short notice that only a few reporters actually made it to the announcement. State troopers blocked late-arriving media outside her home, and her spokesman, Dave Murrow, finally emerged to confirm that Palin will step down July 26. He refused to give details about the governor's future plans.
So not only was the announcement scheduled for a Friday afternoon of a holiday weekend, it was announced in such a way that made it very difficult for media to cover. Based on what I'm seeing so far though, this is a pretty big earthquake in terms of awareness. The best clip I've seen for illustrating the meandering, self-promoting speech, and the trademark Palin trait of repeating the same catch phrases over and over and over is the AP clip in the WaPo piece above. I'm trying to find a clip that starts from the beginning of this mind boggling speech; if I find one, I'll post it.

Followup 2: Woah. This is even loopier than I thought... two parts for a total of 19 minutes.
You should be proud of me. I just waded through 19 minutes of verbal diarrhea.
Well Goldberg was right about one thing: this woman scares the living shit out of me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Strange that this happened today. I had a dream last night--the whole dream was watching Sarah Palin cry. It made me happy.

tucker said...

Hi, Lockwood. I don't know if you've seen it (or if the robot bit of your cyborgic brain is in a state to access it), but the NYTimes has a rather long and pretty good piece on the mundane and seemingly more important aspects of the Decline of Palin, here : http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/13/us/politics/13palin.html?_r=1&hp

Lockwood said...

Thanks Tucker, haven't read it yet, but I will.