Wednesday, June 10, 2009

C'mon, Let the Cat In, Already

Cute, but that growley voice in the background gets on my nerves. At my grandmother's house, the kitchen door had a hook, meant to keep the door open, near its base on the outside. I remember at least two cats that independently figured out that flipping that hook- basically using it as a door knocker- would get the hoomins to open the door and let them in. Ozma pushes the door, making it creak, and scratches. Dogs often figure out similar signals to be let in (or fed, or something else they want). Animals aren't dummies.

3 comments:

Dean Wormer said...

Someone recently pointed out to me that dogs are one of the only animal, if not THE only animal, that understand the pointing gesture. I realize that's years of domestication but it's pretty cool just the same.

Anonymous said...

Does Lockwood still have a pile of pizza boxes in his living room? Does he still raise mice? Does he still play trivia at Toa Yuen?

Lockwood said...

Nope, no pizza boxes. Nope, no mice (the cat loves them though, and brought me a couple last summer). And nope, Toa Yuen closed more than a decade ago. Three strikes, Anonymous.