Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Typo or Intentional?

News Item:
PROVO, Utah -- About 18,500 issues of the Daily Universe student newspaper at Brigham Young University were pulled from newsstands because a photo caption on the front page misidentified leaders of the Mormon church as apostates instead of apostles.
From Oregon Live. My guess, given the way things work these days, is that this started as a typo, and the spell checker suggested "apostate." The illiterate student "journalist" assumed that was the word he/she was after, and the illiterate "editor" didn't know any better. The frosting on this cake is that it was BYU.

Followup: Well, I should really finish reading an article before I post and speculate on it... even if posting it before I stop chuckling feels so good. The article states that my speculations about the cause were correct.

3 comments:

Dean Wormer said...

I bet that made the church leader's heads explode.

Micgar said...

Dean Wormer-and then it gave them apoplexy!

jamesw said...

Hey everyone it is true. You might think that they did it on purpose. I don't think they did it on purpose but it is a God-given mistake. They was a similar article written on www.theundergroundsite.com it is called It's all about forgiveness.
We have to be aware of what we write, sometimes people take things too literally.