Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring It Is, Then

So this morning at 11-something UTC, which I think would be like 4-something Pacific Savings Time, spring officiously sprang. I posted a piece back in January, nearly two months ago, on this local establishment and the green stuff coming up in the front yard.
A nice clump of daffodils between the sidewalk and the street...
And beside the steps with crocuses...
I really should have cropped this to highlight the violets, and the little spray of bursting leaves on the roses... yes, that's right, the roses are starting to leaf out.
Somewhere, a camillia bush is blooming. I walk by several of these each day and I've been watching the buds swell and color up, but I haven't seen blossoms yet. This was picked elsewhere and dropped.
Walking across the street and onto campus...
The dogwoods are going at it.The above was taken from the same place as the previous, just turning 60 degrees or so. Owen Hall (Electrical Engineering) is one of the newer buildings on campus, and one of my favorites. In a bit, I'll show you why.

I've been following the budding and blossoming, as I said above, for nearly two months... spring starts early here! First snowdrops were posted 2/9; first crocuses on 2/21; and first daffodils on 2/27. In most cases, the flowers were open a week or so earlier, and the photos were taken a few days before I got around to posting them. So to the geobloggers, consider this entry as my post for the spring meme... one I started addressing a month and a half before the meme was declared!

3 comments:

Dean Wormer said...

I set up a scholarship for my grandmother in my dad's name last year but we came close to sponsoring an office in Owen Hall instead. Grandma loved that sort of legacy stuff with your name on it.

Such a cool/ modern building.

Silver Fox said...

Beautiful! Our daffodils probably won't bloom until May or June.

Christopher Farrell said...

nice post.