Sunday, February 8, 2009

Banangelina Jolie

When I came into my favorite coffee shop this morning, there was a flyer for a special that I gather has run before, but that I have never had:
THE BANAGELINA JOLIE
RICH AND FRUITY!

organic bananas fried in homemade pancake batter topped with organic maple syrup, almonds, cinnamon flavored organic whipped cream, powdered sugar, nutmeg, and strawberries which may or may not* have been nibbled by Angelina, Brad, or any of their 46 children.
Like the famed actress/activist, this breakfast is warm, sweet, spicy and a little nutty. Who wouldn't want to taste a little Banangelina?
*not

I debated getting it- I can't eat too much sugar. I couldn't really decide so I had a cup of coffee and got a start on my reading. After an hour or so, I went and had a smoke, and decided to go for it. Fruit is good for you, right?
Justin took my order. In all fairness, while both he and I enjoy this picture, he does not make a habit of looking like a murderous clown who forgot to put on his whiteface and makeup. I asked him to give me a grin, and he did.Natalie was pretty busy with other orders, so I didn't stick around to see mine specifically get underway. But a little while later, with a fresh refill to occupy me, she brought this out:
I think that Natalie, knowing I was going to write this up, made it a little fancier than normal. These results may not be typical, as they say in the diet ads.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make things format the way I want them to, rather than the way blooger wants them to, and the following has ended up grainy for some reason, but it's a crop of the above, to show the luscious details: And after a few bites, to reveal the banangelinas inside:
Iris came out shortly afterward, and I had to ask how this was assembled. She slices the bananas into four lengthwise slices, then dips them in the pancake batter, and pushes them together into a circular form in the pan, then cooks it like a pancake.

Iris was having the super burrito, which is what I most often have. I'll have to write that up some other time, but here's a preview: And just in case you forgot, this is Iris, the Dutchess of deliciousness... ...with the expression I'm most often wearing when I'm getting ready to plow into some food here.

I finally got over my sugar buzz a couple of hours ago. It was beyond decadent. If I understood correctly, they will be running this special (the Banangelina, not the burrito) for the next week. If you're in the neighborhood, and are not diabetic, I recommend it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dean Wormer said...

I had one piece of dry wheat toast today and yours is the first blog I looked at. Now I'm starving because that looks pretty good.

Thanks a lot . :)