Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Blag Gets Bagged

Just caught this at the Guardian. Not only has he been removed from office, he's been disqualified from ever serving in a public office again in Illinois. His criminal trial is ongoing. I'm sure the blogosphere is abuzz, but I've been catching up on a bunch geology and other science stuff.

I think it's interesting to note that liberal bloggers and commentators have been pretty much unanimous in their condemnation of this character. I'm deeply suspicious regarding our culture's tendancy these days to run "trials by media," rather than having juries actually examine pertinent evidence (Nancy Grace can eat me). So I have tried not to pay too much attention until the facts have been laid out and treated formally. But the man (and the teratogenic twin attached to his head) has behaved in such a way that it was clear to me that he believed trial by media was his only hope.

But compare this to what I expect would happen if Blaggy was a Republican. Rush, Sean, Bill-o, Annie got her gun, and the rest of the usual crew would be shrilly filling the airwaves with denunciations of the librul media, claiming there's no real evidence, that it's all a witchhunt. You know it's true; we've seen it dozens of times before. I personally don't believe that this is all that bad for democrats- bad for Blagojevich, yes, but the Dems are simply showing that they know their shit stinks too, and they're willing to deal with it and move on. That reassures me, not worries me.

No comments: