Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Another One of Those Pesky Winter Memes

I caught it from Silver Fox, who caught it from ReBecca. Bold the places you've been; numbers are thought to be average annual visitors.

America's Top 25 Most-Visited Places:

1. Times Square, New York City, NY - 35 million
2. The Las Vegas Strip, Las Vegas, NV - 31 million
3. National Mall and Memorial Parks, Washington DC - 24 million
4. Faneuil Hall Marketplace, Boston, MA- 20 million- I visited Boston in the summer after 3rd grade, but I don't remember this, so I won't count it.
5. Disney World's Magic Kingdom, Lake Buena Vista, FL - 17.1 million
6. Disneyland Park, Anaheim, CA - 14.9 million
7. Fisherman's Wharf/Golden Gate National Recreation Area, San Francisco, CA - 14 million
8. Niagara Falls, NY - 12 million
9. Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN/NC - 9.4 million
10 Navy Pier, Chicago, IL - 8.6 million- I've been to Chicago a number of times, but I don't think I've been to this spot. Unless this is where the Field Museum is.
11. Lake Mead National Recreation Area, AZ/NV - 7.6 million
12. Universal Studios/ Islands of Adventure, Orlando, FL - 6.2 million
13. SeaWorld Florida, Orlando, FL - 6 million
14. San Antonio River Walk, TX - 5.1 million
15. Temple Square, Salt Lake City, UT - 5 million
16. Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, PA/NJ - 4.8 million- possibly, but if so, a drive-by, and I don't remember it.
17. Universal Studios Hollywood, CA - 4.7 million
18. Metropolitan Museum, New York City, NY - 4.5 million
18. Waikiki Beach, Oahu, HI - 4.5 million
20. Grand Canyon, AZ - 4.41 million
21. Busch Gardens Africa, Tampa Bay, FL - 4.4 million
22. Cape Cod National Seashore, MA - 4.35 million- Plymouth, but I don't think we went out on the cape.
23. Sea World San Diego, CA - 4.26 million
24. American Museum of Natural History, New York City, NY - 4 million
25. Atlantic City Boardwalk, NJ - 4 million

I think it speaks volumes about Americans that the two museums on this list are in 18th and 24th places. I count 13, a bit more than half. 16, the other 18, and 22 are the ones I'd be interested in seeing, and maybe 4- I'd definitely like to go back and visit some of Boston's historical sites.

Oops, followup- didn't remove SF's comment on Waikiki; I've never been anywhere close to Hawaii.

No comments: