Saturday, November 29, 2008

Sunset Three-Way

Get your mind out of the gutter! I had read yesterday that Jupiter and Venus were in alignment about sunset- I went out and looked, but it was too cloudy. Today however we had some pretty nice weather- light clouds in the morning, burning off in the afternoon, nearly 60 degrees. Despite all the drunken revelry, it was a nice day. A few minutes ago I went outside to smoke and looked west to see if I could spot the planets- no luck. I walked down the street to see if I could get a better view around the buildings and trees- no luck. So a bit of a mental shrug. Turned around and... POW! They're further to the south than I thought, and man are they bright! Spectacular! I wouldn't have seen them if I hadn't walked North, and (from my perspective) got them above the roofline of the buildings across the street.

But wait! There's More! The astronomical deliciousness gets better: over the next couple of days (Nov. 30, Dec. 1- links from spaceweather page at the top), the waxing crescent moon will pass near these two planets- after the sun, these are the three brightest objects in the sky. Should be quite a show- go out after sunset and look SW. Hope our weather holds out for the next couple of days! Hmm... looks like maybe tomorrow, but rain Monday.

No comments: