Friday, August 8, 2008

Louie, Louie and Tricky Dicky

According to I'm Not One to Blog, But... this is the 45th anniversary of The Kingsmans' "Louie, Louie." I first heard it in the movie "Animal House," and fell in love with it immediately. The Animal House version was by a diffferent group, but this sounds just fine.

A bit of trivia I was pleased to learn: The Kingsmen were from Portland. Why is it that a group (or anything, for that matter) from a nearby place somehow seems more important, and how is it that I feel more of a sense of ownership and pride in this wonderfully silly song now that I feel a geographic connection to it?

Another anniversary, probably more important as far as those stodgy old historians are concerned, is that on today's date in 1974, Richard M. Nixon resigned from the presidency. Say what you will about Tricky Dick (and I've said plenty), but I'd trade Shrub in for him in a heartbeat. I'd even trade Cheney for Agnew. Probably.

And, oh yeah. I guess the opening ceremony for the Olympics is today. Whoopee.

No comments: